Saturday 7 February 2009

Exploring New Footpaths

It's sometimes quite wonderful to have the opportunity to explore a new path or to re-visit a route that one hasn't walked on for a decade or so.

Quite recently, in early January, I designed a circular walk of about 10 miles distance. It started from the car park at Grosmont Station {NZ 827 052}. The route took me in a counter-clockwise direction and visited Key Green, Murk Mire Moor, Beck Hole, Green End and New Houses.

Click here to see the tracklog of the route that I took.

During the planning stage of my walk I managed to 'work in' three
footpaths that I hadn't walked on before - or, at least, I canot recall
ever having walked them. Each path in itself was quite delightful.

My first new path took me from the viewing point (overlooking Grosmont Station}at {NZ 827 050} along a permissive path, a minor road and a public footpath to reach a nicely situated cottage at {NZ 814 050}. My westerly trek took me along Lease Rigg through a delightful little wooded area (Brow Wood) and then over the River Esk. The route of this path is shown in the map below.

Map of my First Path
My second path took me from the road at Egton Bridge {NZ 802 051} uphill through another delighful wood to reach the minor road at {NZ 806 046} near Blue Beck. The route of this path is shown in the map below.

Map of My Second Path
The third of my new paths took me into open terrain. It started from the minor road at {NZ 802 043} and went in a westerly direction along quite a good farm track that took me to Swang Farm {NZ 799 040}. I continued in a southerly direction to reach another footpath at {NZ 798 028}. The route of my third new path is shown in the map below.

Map of my Third Path
From the above location {NZ 798 028} I headed east to Struntry Carr and then dropped down to Beck Hole. From here I returned to Grosmont - following a northerly route through Hollin Garth, Morton Close and Dale End Farm.

 


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home